I love maps! So I thought I would list the countries geographically located closest to my present position.
- Russia. Well, duh!
- Kazakhstan. Surprisingly close, if you drive east.
- Ukraine. The eastern part. If Russia had its way, the border would be much further west of me.
- Georgia. Due south.
- Azerbaijan. Bigger than Georgia, which I found surprising, and next door to it.
- Armenia. There’s no border with Russia, you have to drive through Georgia.
- Turkey. Again you have to go via Georgia.
- Uzbekistan. I would have to cross Kazakhstan and the Caspian Sea but it is next closest.
- Turkmenistan. Only just a little further away than its neighbour Uzbekistan.
- Iran. Actually closer to me than Belarus and Moldova. The next tranche of countries includes Syria and Iraq!
If I drive due West the first country I will hit is Ukraine.
If I drive due South the first country I will hit is Georgia.
If I drive due East the first country I will hit is Kazakhstan, and much sooner than if I drive any other direction.
If I drive due North the first country I will hit is… Canada. Just missing Norway (Svalbard) and USA (Alaska). And obviously this would involve going over the North Pole and heading south.